A RESIDENTIAL home in Katherine has been completely destroyed by a fire caused by an electrical fault.
The fire was reported to Katherine Fire and Rescue at 9am on Friday and 11 firefighters were at the scene to battle the blaze in Hunt Court.
Katherine Fire Station Acting Station Officer Steve Ditcham said the three-bedroom, low level, metal-clad house was fully engulfed in flames.
Fire fighters donned breathing apparatus to fight the fire and the blaze was extinguished by 10.30am.
“Katherine fire fighters did an outstanding job bringing the blaze under control,” Acting Station Officer Ditcham said.
“The home was severely damaged, but luckily nobody was injured.”
The home owner is believed to be overseas at the moment.
Fire investigators were at the scene after it was declared safe and an electrical fault in a power board was determined as the cause of the fire.
Acting Station Officer Ditcham said the blaze was a timely reminder for people to ensure their power boards and leads were in good condition, and not to overload domestic power boards.
“This fire is a sad reminder that overloading of power boards with electrical appliances can cause fires,” he said.