A precautionary roadblock is in place north of Katherine while police are continuing their manhunt for 46-year-old Jonathon Andrew Stenberg who is wanted in relation to the murder of a 54-year-old male at Broadwater, New South Wales, on June 21.
Travellers are urged to use caution on the Stuart Highway near the Emungalan Road and Zimin Drive turn offs.
A large area in Darwin's rural area was locked down yesterday afternoon, but last night Northern Territory Police allowed people to return to their homes.
Officers continued to patrol the area near Cox Peninsula Road overnight, responding to numerous reports from residents and following up lines of inquiry.
“To date, Mr Stenberg continues to evade authorities.” Crime Commander Richard Bryson said this morning.
“With the onset of daylight, police stepped up its overnight operation with sweeping patrols of scrubland.
"A helicopter has also taken to the air fitted with thermal imaging equipment.”
“In the hunt for Mr Stenberg, police have so far seized his vehicle – which he had attempted to disguise along with a rifle and personal effects,” Cmdr Bryson said.
“While there is a high police presence in the area, the public is urged to remain vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.”
“The community is reminded Mr Stenberg is considered armed and dangerous and should not be approached under any circumstances.”
“While police understand the disruption to the community, public safety and the safety of our officers is paramount.
"People are asked to remain patient and follow the direction of any operational personnel.”