KATHERINE police officers have spent six tiring days and nights manning a road block north of town in their bid to contribute to the manhunt for alleged killer Jonathon Andrew Stenberg, who was on the run from police after allegedly decapitating his neighbour, Edward “Ned” Kelly in New South Wales in June.
A police spokesman said while the Katherine road block had been in place as a precautionary measure it had been set up to “keep everyone safe”.
Officer in Charge of the Northern Traffic Operation Unit, Senior Constable 1st Class Mark Soligo, said more than 70 police men and women manned the road block on Stuart Highway, searching vehicles and checking licences, while tactical response groups searched bushland in the Berry Springs area for the fugitive.
On Sunday - after six days on the run - the former army corporal was surrounded by heavily armed officers.
Police said the former combat engineer and war zone security contractor was carrying two loaded handguns and a rifle when confronted by police but surrendered without incident.
On Monday Mr Stenberg appeared in court barefoot and unshaven as his counsel, Shane McMaster, asked the magistrate to put Mr Stenberg in his own cell because he was “anxious and agitated” and “struggling with some serious mental health issues”.
Mr Stenberg is being extradited to NSW tomorrow afternoon, before he is expected to face Sydney Central Court on Friday.
The manhunt for Mr Stenberg was one of the largest pursuits in the history of the Northern Territory, and Chief Minister Paul Henderson commended all Police, Fire and Rescue members for their efforts.
“This capture is a credit to their hard work and professionalism in keeping Territorians safe,” he said.