Prisoner numbers reached a record number in the Northern Territory this week.
NT Correctional Services is implementing a range of measures to manage growing prisoner numbers in the Territory’s correctional centres and work camps, with prisoner numbers reaching an all-time high this week.
NT Correctional Services is adding 40 reserved beds to the Darwin Correctional Centre to create double bunking in some cells.
Eighteen single rooms are ready with 20 more to be completed by February 28.
Only recently, Katherine Town Council alderman Toni Tapp-Coutts floated the idea of locating a prison farm in the local area.
A number of eligible open rated prisoners are being assessed for administrative home detention and others may be transferred to the pre-release work village.
Extra custodial staff are being rostered on to manage the increased work load.
Fast facts: Northern Territory prison occupancy February 11.
- Prisoner numbers reached an all-time high of 1789, which is 108.6% of design capacity.
- Darwin Correctional Centre - 1077 (102.8% of design capacity) (1003 male - 74 female).
- Alice Springs Correctional Centre - 609 (121.8% of design capacity) (561 male - 48 female).
- Barkly Work Camp - 59 (118% of design capacity).
- Datjala Work Camp - 44 (88% of design capacity).