The NT Government has revealed the members of its Onshore Shale Gas: Community and Business Reference Group.
Mayor Fay Miller and businessman Geoff Crowhurst have won a seat at the table.
The Government said it had delivered on a key recommendation of the Scientific Inquiry into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory with the establishment of the group.
Chief Minister Michael Gunner said the establishment of the reference group ensured key stakeholders had oversight and input into the development of the implementation framework and its subsequent execution.
It follows the appointment last month of Dr David Ritchie as the independent officer to oversee implementation of the 135 recommendations from the scientific inquiry into hydraulic fracturing.
“We recognise the importance of engaging with the community to deliver a safe, reliable, and productive onshore gas industry that directly benefits Territorians and values our unique environment,” Mr Gunner said.
“The establishment of this reference group is a significant part of the Report, and offers an important channel for engagement with representatives of various stakeholder groups.”
The purpose of the Reference Group is to provide:
- advice on the implementation framework and its subsequent execution to ensure that the framework aligns with community and industry expectations;
- a forum to share information and provide opportunities for cooperation, and collaboration with key stakeholders and the community; and
- a medium through which key stakeholders can communicate their views about the implementation framework and its subsequent execution directly to the Government.
Reference Group members bring a diversity of skills from the community, environmental groups, local business, the gas industry and local Government, placing them in good stead to constructively contribute to the process.
- The members are:
- Mr Denys Stedman (Chair) – Buy Local Advocate
- Mr Jimmy Cocking – Director, Arid Lands Environment Centre
- Mr Matt Doman – Director, SA and NT, Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association
- Ms Julie-Ann Stoll – Manager – Mining, Central Land Council
- Mr Greg Bicknell – Chief Executive Officer, Chamber of Commerce
- Ms Gillian Duggin – Principal Lawyer and Executive Officer, Environmental Defenders Office
- Mr Geoff Crowhurst – Chair, Katherine Mining Services Association
- Ms Fay Miller – Mayor, Katherine Town Council
- Prof Alan Cass – Director, Menzies School of Health Research
- Mr Michael Bridge – Chairman, Tourism NT
- Mr Joe Morrison – Chief Executive Officer, Northern Land Council
- Mr Paul Burke – Chief Executive Officer, NT Cattleman’s Association
- Mr Greg Owens – Chief Executive Officer, NT Farmers
- Mr David Ciaravolo –Executive Officer, Amateur Fisherman’s Association of the NT
- Mr Damian Hale – Organiser, Australian Workers Union
The Inquiry Implementation Taskforce has been established in the Department of the Chief Minister to coordinate all recommendation actions from the Final Report.