The Federal Government is supporting the celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture through funding for NAIDOC Week celebrations.
Senator Nigel Scullion today announced that 15 organisations across the electorate of Lingiari would benefit from the Australian Government’s 2018 NAIDOC Week grants round.
“The National Aboriginal and Islander Day Observance Committee (NAIDOC) Week is an annual celebration of the histories, rich cultures, outstanding achievements and ongoing contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples,” Senator Scullion said.
“I’m thrilled to be able to support local community organisations hold local NAIDOC Week events, including an event to celebrate the 10 Year Anniversary of Tiwi College hosted by the Tiwi Education Board.
“East Arnhem Regional Council will use a $19,800 grant for community NAIDOC Week activities including a community BBQ, sporting events and disco, as well as arts and cooking activities.
NAIDOC Week will be held from July 8 – 15, with the theme Because of her, we can!, which celebrates the invaluable and continuing contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women.
“Other events in the Territory that will celebrate the contribution of Aboriginal women include Belyuen Community Government Council holding a special afternoon tea at the Knucky Women's Centre for Belyuen women and girls. At Nauiyu/Daly River women elders will lead the procession in the NAIDOC Day March as well throughout the week will share stories of their journeys. Tiwi Islands Regional Council events include a Tiwi women’s careers expo and demonstrations of Tiwi women’s handwoven basket making.”
“I encourage all Territorians to attend a local event to celebrate and learn more about the culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples celebrating the oldest continuing culture in the world.
The Government’s $1.4 million 2018 NAIDOC Week grants package will support a variety of events nationwide, including sporting events, cultural showcases and school activities.
- 2018 NAIDOC Week grant recipients in Lingiari:
- Anglicare NT For NAIDOC celebration lunch at Milingimbi, Numbulwar, and Ngukurr for the staff (25 local Indigenous women) and children and families who attend their playgroups ($900)
- Barkly Regional Council for NAIDOC activities across the Barkly ($5000)
- Belyuen Community Government Council for special afternoon tea at the Knucky Women's Centre for Belyuen women and girls and whole community evening celebration at the Belyuen Hall ($500)
- CatholicCare NT for Nauiyu Daly River “Empowering Community Women – Because of Her We Can”, NAIDOC Event ($1000)
- Centralian Senior College for female elders visit ($1400)
- East Arnhem Regional Council for Council Community NAIDOC Activities ($19,800)
- Katherine Regional Aboriginal Health and Related Services Aboriginal Corporation for Katherine NAIDOC Week Celebrations ($25,000)
- Living Waters Lutheran School for range of craft activities and Aboriginal women sharing stories ($1000)
- Mabunji Aboriginal Resource Indigenous Corporation for various activities including awards to women leaders in Borroloola ($2500)
- Tangentyere Council Aboriginal Corporation for Alice Springs NAIDOC Activities ($30,000)
- Tiwi Islands Regional Council for NAIDOC week on the Tiwi Islands ($3000)
- Tiwi Education Board Incorporated for 10 Year Anniversary of Tiwi College ($2500)
- Victoria Daly Regional Council for Timber Creek NAIDOC Celebrations ($3240)
- West Daly Regional Council for Council's NAIDOC 2018 Celebrations ($3000)
- Waltja Tjutangku Palyapayi (Aboriginal Corporation) for healthy morning teas and women awards in Alice Springs and four in remote central Australian communities ($8000)