Police have today released an image of the man they believe savagely attacked an elderly Katherine man last week.
Bevan Gitsham, 79, was inside his own home eating breakfast last week when set upon and hit several times with a stick severe enough to be hospitalised.
The violent incident has shocked Katherine.
The assault in Katherine East occurred on October 29 between 5.30am and 6am.
His assailant was last seen running in the vicinity of Holtze Crescent and Callistemon Drive.
After a week of fruitless searching, police hope the image will help track down the man.
At the time, police released a description of the man as being a part Aboriginal male, late teens or early twenties, approximately six foot tall, athletic build with short dark hair, large ears and broad nose. He was wearing black shorts and a T-shirt with orange and yellow markings on the front and dark sleeves.
Anyone with information is urged to contact police on 131444 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Mr Gitsham said he was shocked by the attack.
He had unlocked his house to “check the weather” about 5am, as is his routine, and had returned to his kitchen for breakfast without locking it again.
“I was sitting watching TV and next thing I knew he hit me, I didn’t know he was here ‘till he hit me,” Mr Gitsham said.
“I was on the floor and he gave me a few more bashings,” he said.
But his assailant appeared to be startled by all the commotion and left without stealing anything.
“There was blood everywhere, pouring out of my head.”
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.