A NT housing body has attacked a continuing stand-off between the Federal and Territory governments over spending on remote housing.
NT Shelter says the governments are bickering over a $550 million commitment for remote housing.
"It is shaping up as a significant blow to the aspirations and prospects of families and children across the Territory,' NT Shelter's executive officer Peter McMillan said.
Earlier this year, NT Shelter wrote to Commonwealth Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, Minister for Indigenous Affairs Nigel Scullion and NT Chief Minister Michael Gunner, urging all reasonable efforts be taken to resolve the impasse since the Commonwealth’s commitment was announced in April 2018.
“The inability of the two Governments to finalise an agreement threatens to impact on the delivery of much needed housing for many disadvantaged Territorians," Mr McMillan said.
"According to recent data released by the Productivity Commission, 54.3% of state owned and managed housing in the NT is overcrowded."
Mr McMillan said both sides of politics and all levels of Government had noted the extent of housing disadvantage in the NT and the need to close the gap on Aboriginal disadvantage.
“This is an important test of both governments’ ability to work together to improve the lives of families whose kids are disadvantaged with early childhood development and education opportunities, and get sick from preventable illnesses, because they live in poor quality, overcrowded housing.
"Failure to do so, and the potential winding back of remote housing construction, puts at risk the needs of highly disadvantaged families across the NT."
The housing group wants the issue sorted before the Federal election when it fears the funding commitment may be lost.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.