New and beginner drivers in Katherine are encouraged to enrol in the safe road user program - DriveSafe NT.
The driver education, training and licencing program provides Territorians the opportunity to gain the essential knowledge and skills to be a safe road user, promoting safe driving practices and providing competency based driver training and awareness.
Participants receive education and training by qualified driving instructors and assessors, as well as more than $600 in subsidies towards obtaining a driver's licence, including:
- A DriveSafe NT participant pack and course materials:
- Road law theory and road safety education;
- Free Learner (L) and provisional (P) licences;
- Subsidised driving lessons or access to trained supervising drivers;
- Two free attempts at the practical driving assessment;
- First@Scene St Johns Ambulance NT Online first aid course;
- Access to online tools or a DriveSafe staff member to track and manage your driver education progress.
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics chief executive, Andrew Kirkman, said the DriveSafe NT program was an important initiative to give our young drivers the skills and knowledge to not only get their licences, but most importantly, to know how to drive safe on Territory roads.
"Getting your licence can be one of the most exciting steps in a Territorian's life, and the DriveSafe NT program provides a platform for young people to gain their Learners and Provisional licences," said Mr Kirkman.
The DriveSafe NT program covers all driver education elements over a minimum of six months, and is open to eligible people over the age of 16 living in the NT.
Administered by the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics, the program contributes to the vision of the Toward Zero Road Safety Action Plan, through a proactive program to encourage responsible and safe Territory drivers.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.