Toxic smoke from burning tyres continues to fill the sky in Katherine's south after a fire engulfed a patch of land between the Speedway Track and the Showgrounds yesterday.
About 300 metres of discarded tyres were set alight at about midday, yet it remains unclear as to how it started.
Officials are warning residents to stay clear from the area, as smoke from a tyre fire contains a number of substances which may cause health issues.
"The tyres have been extinguished however smoke is still present and is expected to be present for several days," an NT Police spokeswoman said.
"Asthma sufferers should take all precautions.
"The public are asked to avoid this area where possible. If you live or work nearby, stay indoors, reduce reverse cycle air-conditioning and reduce physical activity.
"Keep windows and doors closed."
Winds were unfavourable yesterday, pushing significant amounts of smoke towards Katherine South and across the Showgrounds.
Territory Day entertainment planned to go ahead at 5pm had to be relocated from the Showgrounds to the Sportsgrounds.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.