It may have sounded like complete chaos last night with the loud sound of crackers filling the night, but emergency services have reported a significant decrease in fires and hospitalisations.
For the five hours between 6pm and 11pm on July 1, the NT becomes the only place in Australia everyday citizens are legally allowed to ignite fireworks, anywhere.
Each year the celebration brings with it a jump in hospitalisations and emergency services are spread thin as they are called to extinguish fires.
Territorians must be getting the safety message touted by officials, because emergency calls to NT Fire and Rescue were down about 50 per cent on last year.
District officer for Northern Territory Fire and Rescue, Ian Lockley said emergency crews were called to 160 fires across the NT.
At a press conference this morning in the Darwin CBD, the officer described the notoriously frenzied night as "a reasonably good year".
"We had extra resources on and we were able to get on top of [the fires] very early and keep them down," he said.
"People were behaving better, I think we got the messages out there and each year it gets better and hopefully it continues to improve."
Mr Lockley said a number of contributing factors may have had a hand in the moderate night.
"It was a weeknight and the weather was very benign," he said, "the wind was down and the humidity was up."
"We had about half the number of calls that we had the previous year, all in all it was busy for us, but thanks to the volunteers who gave up their Territory Day to protect their communities, it was manageable."
Dr Miranda Hamilton from the Centre for Disease Control said people seem to be taking more care lighting fireworks with less people presenting to hospitals across the Territory.
"There were 17 presentations, so far across the NT, with fireworks related injuries," Ms Hamilton said.
"The majority of these have been burns, there have also been lacerations and ear injuries."
While more data continues to roll in, the count is down across the board.
"Last year and the year before there were 38 presentations across the Territory from July 1 to July 6, now there are 17 presentations just from the one night," she said.
"There have not been any severe or life threatening injuries which have presented at this stage.
"A third of the presentations have been children.
"It sounds like people are being more cautious and listening to the safety messages and taking more care, which is great to see."
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.