Naidoc Week celebrations are being held in Katherine this month to mark the the history, culture and achievements of Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander people.
The United Nations declared 2019 the International Year of Indigenous Languages, as languages become more difficult to preserve.
Of the estimated original 250 Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander languages, only around 120 are still spoken.
Fitting with the international declaration, the 2019 Naidoc theme is 'Voice. Treaty. Truth. Let's work together'.
Voice, treaty and truth were three key elements to the reforms set out in the Uluru Statement from the Heart.
While Australia seems to be on the path to reconciliation, many believe we have a long way to go.
Katherine has traditionally celebrated Naidoc with a week of celebrations. And this year is no different.
Events start this Sunday with an opening ceremony and welcome at the Civic Lawns at 9am.
A march through Katherine is expected to go ahead on Friday, but changes to Traffic Control Management could put it on the back bench with a cost too high.
There will also be plenty of morning teas, hosted by a range of organisations, and a Naidoc dinner at the Finch Cafe.
Naidoc Week in Katherine
Sunday, July 7
- Opening ceremony and welcome at the Civic Lawns at 9am
Monday, July 8
- Rocky Ridge Open Day with morning tea at 10am
Tuesday, July 9
- Kids Big Day Out, Catholic Care at 9.30am
- Red Cross morning tea, Kalano Flexible Care at 10am
- Movie night, Ryan Park at 6.30pm
Wednesday, July 10
- Family Sport and Culture Day, Kalano at 9am
Thursday, July 11
- Legal Services Big Breakfast, 50 Cent Park at 8am
- Yarning Circle, Family Support Office at 10.30am
- Morning tea, Katherine Hospital Jack Roney Ward at 11am
Friday, July 12
- Naidoc March, starts at O'Shea Terrace at 10am
- Naidoc Family Day, Lindsay Street Complex at 10.30am
- Pool challenge (8ball), Katherine Club at 12pm
Saturday, July 13
- Softball, Katherine Softball Oval at 9am
- Darts, Katherine Club at 12pm
- Movie night, Lindsay Street Complex at 5pm
- Naidoc Dinner, Finch Cafe at 7.30
Sunday, July 14
- Closing ceremony and awards, Civic Centre at 9am
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.