The NT Government has announced the roll out of a territory wide plan which will see the most extensive suite of measures put in place to tackle youth crime.
Under the program, youth offenders in Katherine will be offered victim-offender conferences, which may include writing an apology letter or participating in intensive family support.
The government says the plan gives police and courts the power to get kids off the street and into cultural programs, which have a proven track record of preventing further crime.
But Deputy Opposition Leader Lia Finocchiaro says the plan lacks detail and does little to address the recent unprecedented levels of offending in Katherine.
"The latest crime figures show that commercial break-ins were up an astonishing 109 percent," she said.
"A one-size fits all approach will not help Katherine residents and businesses that are currently suffering from the current crime crisis.
"Territorians are crying out for stronger consequences for those that do the wrong thing, including escalating consequences for repeat offenders, the payment of debt to the community through public service, inclusion of parents and carers as part of the solution, and more effective use of electronic monitoring for youth offenders."
The $8.35 million Back on Track: Cutting Youth Crime Plan will be delivered through two key organisations in Katherine; Jesuit Social Services and Save the Children.
The plan has been in the works since last year and will include programs delivered right across the Territory in a bid to address the issue of repeat young offenders.
It was first unveiled in early December last year as the government's response to problem youth between 8-17 years old.
The program was again promoted by the Government in February.
"Back on Track delivers programs which have proven to stop offenders committing more crime," Minister for Territory Families, Dale Wakefield said.
"It includes increased youth justice conferencing where courts order offenders to sit before victims and face up to the impacts of their actions."
While youth who pose a serious safety risk for Territorians will still face detention, Minister Wakefield said Back on Track provides another set of tools to cut youth crime and provides pathways for diversion.
"The Territory Labor Government is fixing the youth justice system and breaking the cycle of crime," she said.
"Our new $8.35 million Back on Track Program is the most extensive suite of measures ever put in place to address repeat offending and will put young people back on the right path to make them better adults, not better criminals.
"Three service providers will deliver Back on Track in the Katherine region. This is in addition to existing youth activity programs and the six Youth Outreach and Re-engagement Officers already working with young people and their families to help keep kids on track."
A roll out of programs Territory wide will begin in the next eight weeks.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.