Organisers of the Katherine Show and the Races are holding their breath as the coronavirus pandemic rapidly evolves.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison today has banned non-essential indoor gatherings of 100 people or more and Australians are still advised to stay away from non-essential outdoor gatherings of 500 or more people.
But with the largest events of the year still months away, organisers are remaining hopeful.
The Katherine Show is due to go ahead on July 17, with more than 20,000 people expected to walk through the gates across three days.
"The committee is monitoring directives from the NT Government and Department of Health," Katherine Show Officer Annemarie Skerrett said.
"As of yet there has been no direction on what to do with events a couple of months in the future.
"We are waiting to see if the V8 Supercar event in Darwin is going to be cancelled, so for this week we are continuing to organise the show."
Organisers of the Katherine Races, the largest social event of the year, are in limbo with a decision on the future to be made over the next week or two.
President of the Turf Club, Paul Mullins, said it is "business as usual" in the meantime, with the race set to go ahead on August 15, pending national advice.
"It is all a bit up in the air, we are on standby as this pandemic evolves, and at the moment we are preparing to have a race," he said.
"We had a committee meeting on Monday and we have spoken with Thoroughbred Racing NT, riders from across the country usually come in for the event, to cancel would be a huge blow to the town.
"We will have more information in the next 48 hours as the government continues to reassess its advice, but we currently have plans to continue with our working-bee on Saturday to get the race track ready."
Events across Katherine are being dropped like flies as COVID-19 holds the world by the throat.
Anzac Day events, the anniversary of the bombing of Katherine and multiple sporting events have all been cancelled to reduce the spread of the highly contagious virus.
The Katherine Junk Festival and the Barunga Festival have been postponed to September.
More reading: Katherine Mayor calls for NT border to be closed
We have removed our paywall from our stories about the coronavirus. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.