A cattleman will keep fighting to stop brumbies being shot in the Victorian high country after a court again gave the cull the green light.
Omeo man Philip Maguire's bid to stop the cull was rejected in Victoria's Supreme Court on Friday, but he plans to appeal the decision.
Parks Victoria agreed to hold off from shooting the horses until June 12 if Mr Maguire lodges his appeal paperwork by June 4.
If the paperwork isn't filed in time, the cull could start five days after the deadline.
The parties were thanked for their "pragmatic compromise" to allow a holding position, Justice Steven Moore said on Friday.
He had earlier dismissed Mr Maguire's bid for an injunction to halt the cull.
Parks Victoria was not required to consult with the community about the cull and the ground shooting of feral horses in the eastern alps, Justice Moore ruled.
He said Mr Maguire did not have the standing to bring the proceeding and dismissed the case.
The cattleman argued earlier this week the organisation failed to consult the community about changes to include shooting of the animals.
"There was not any engagement with the broader community in relation with the new technique or the 'kill policy'," his lawyer told the court earlier this week.
The brumby cull is needed to prevent the destruction of the "fragile alpine environment", lawyers for Parks Victoria previously said.
National Park Association spokesman Phillip Ingamells said horses faced dire conditions including bushfires and drought and were not suited to life in the high country.
"Horses belong in paddocks not parks," he said.
Australian Associated Press