Anzac biscuits - they're delicious at any time of the year but on April 25, they're a staple.
While many recipes are sure to help you bake the Aussie and New Zealand classic, Mudgee Country Women's Association Evening's Barbara Gow, in NSW's Central West, has shared her mother's recipe.
"I have made lots of Anzac biscuits over the years as they are delicious and keep well, if you have not eaten them all. They also freeze well, good for lunch boxes," Barbara said.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 125g butter
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 1 tbs water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, rolled oats and coconut.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add golden syrup and water.
- Stir the bicarbonate of soda into the liquid mixture.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place walnut-sized balls of mixture on a greased tray and bake at 175C for 15-20 minutes.
- Biscuits will harden when cool.
- Recipe provided by Barbara Gow
Mudgee's CWA Evening ladies will be selling homemade Anzac biscuits and homecrafted poppies for $5.00 each on the day.
IN OTHER NEWS:
The group's table will be set up at the corner of Perry and Market Street in Robertson Park in Mudgee.
The ladies will also be walking around with baskets selling the above, with all money raised to go to the Legacy Mudgee Widows.
Poppies can also be purchased at the Mudgee Newsagency.