The Territory's band of committed, unsung sporting volunteers will be acknowledged at the first Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards, to be held in the middle of the year.
Volunteers will be recognised for their efforts to get grass roots sports back up and running as communities transitioned to a new normal during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Northern Territory Minister for Sport Kate Worden said the efforts of volunteers have been critical to the ongoing delivery of community sporting initiatives which enriches the lives of Territorians.
"Our sporting volunteers deserve to be acknowledged because they are the heart and soul of many clubs and organisations in the Territory," Ms Worden said.
"We want to thank them for their efforts which have been integral to the wellbeing of many Territorians during the pandemic.
"These new awards are to say thank you, we know 2020 was a tough year and we are all getting used to the new normal. They are just another way we as a Government and the Territory are adapting."
The first Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards will replace the annual NT Sports Awards that were cancelled due to the COVID pandemics impact on sport during 2020.
Nominations are open until May 14 in the following categories:
- Volunteer member/group award - awarded to an individual or group who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the response to COVID-19.
- Volunteer coach award - awarded to an individual who has displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the COVID-19 response in an unpaid volunteer coaching role.
- Volunteer official award - awarded to an individual who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements in an unpaid role for their club/organisation throughout the COVID-19 response in a volunteer officiating role.
- Remote community volunteer award - awarded to an individual or group who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their remote community throughout the COVID-19 response.
Award ceremonies will be held in five regional centres to recognise nominated volunteers from those regions.
An award ceremony will be held in Katherine on July 15 and also in Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Darwin and Nhulunbuy during July and August.
You can nominate an outstanding volunteer here.
"We all know that Territorians love their sport so this is your opportunity to nominate those volunteers who contribute an enormous number of hours in voluntary work to keep our sports running," Ms Worden said.
"We are confident the full version of the NT Sport Awards will make their comeback in 2022."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.