Northern Territory Police have arrested and charged a man for the alleged possession and supply of a commercial quantity of cannabis near Katherine.
The 41-year-old was driving a Toyota Hilux on the Stuart Highway when he was stopped by detectives from the Drug and Organised Crime Squad on June 8, 2021.
A search of the vehicle discovered 47.14 kilograms of cannabis hidden beneath a false floor of the vehicle.
Detectives also located various items indicative of drug supply.
The man was later charged with:
- Supply schedule 2 substance - commercial quantity
- Possess schedule 2 substance - commercial quantity
He was remanded to appear before Darwin Local Court on June 9, 2021.
Detective Superintendent Kerry Hoskins said indications are that a significant portion of the seized drug was likely to end up in remote communities.
"This yet another significant drug seizure resulting from the dedicated work done by members of the Drug and Organised Crime section," Detective Superintendent Hoskins said.
"We know the harm that can be caused from drugs and alcohol, drugs particularly in remote communities, and it is fortunate that we have been successful on this occasion in preventing these drugs from getting out into the community."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.