Northern Territory lockdowns will be lift on Friday but some restrictions will remain in place until the end of next week
A, at times emotional. Chief Minister Michael Gunner said that Territorians had done a great job this week in the face of a difficult situation.
The lockdowns will end as planned at 1pm on July 2, but some restrictions will remain until 1pm on 9 July 2021.
The Territory Check-In App will become mandatory for use in all NT businesses, shopping centres, venues and events. Pen and paper will still be permitted. You will be required to check in everywhere you go, no matter how long you spend at that location.
From 1pm on Friday, July 2 there will be no restrictions on the reasons to leave home if you live in Greater Darwin or Alice Springs but staying COVIDSafe remains important.
- Travel will be permitted across the Territory.
- Face masks must be worn when you are unable to physically distance - this includes at places like the supermarket, shops and hairdresser. Workers who come into close contact with patrons, or who work in crowded environments will need to wear a mask.
- Up to 10 people can visit your home at a time.
- Restaurants, cafes and pubs will re-open for seated service only. Patrons will be required to wear a mask when they go to the bar to order.
- Big events must have The Territory Check In QR Code system in place and be able to comply with physical distancing and mask wearing requirements.
- No contact sports. Indoor exercise including at gyms, Zumba, barre, pilates and yoga studios will remain closed.
- Places of worship will open. Masks must be worn and physical distancing applied.
- Schools, vacation care and childcare centres will open.
It's important that if you have any symptoms that you get tested for COVID-19, particularly if you have been in the Greater Darwin area since 21 June 2021.
If you have symptoms regardless of where you are living, you are urged to get tested,
A 24-hour hotline has been established to provide information about the lockdown arrangements: 1800 193 111 .
MORE TO COME
Tell us your news: Hey Katherine, what's happening in your neck of the woods?
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.