OUR HISTORY: Street of the Week
Usher Street was named after Thomas (Tom) Usher - NT Police Superintendent, Mason and community worker.
Tom Usher migrated to Australia from the United Kingdom in 1973 after serving with the Tynmouth Borough and Northumberland Police from 1966 to 1971.
OTHER NEWS: Adventure of a lifetime
He joined the NT police not long after arriving in Australia and over 24 years he served in Darwin, Tennant Creek, Daly River and Katherine.
He died after a short illness in April 1997, leaving a widow and two children.
- Information from Katherine Museum, check out more from the museum at katherinemuseum.com and on Facebook
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.