Indigenous Katherine health workers have been named finalists for the 2021 Northern Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Worker and Practitioner Excellence Awards, which are set to be held on September 2.
The outstanding work of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals to support their families, communities and healthcare system in the Territory will take centre stage.
"Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health professionals play a vital role in our community delivering health services across the Territory to clients in urban, regional and remote areas," Minister for Health, Natasha Fyles said.
"Not only are they keeping Territorians safe during this pandemic - they are also making sure we don't neglect our general health.
"I congratulate the 19 finalists in the running to receive an award in addition to every other frontline health worker who are all community heroes."
All Indigenous health workers and health practitioners employed in the Territory are eligible for nomination.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students studying qualifications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Primary Health Care Training Package are eligible for nomination in the Student Awards category.
These awards acknowledge the efforts of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workforces over the period of May 2020 to 1 June 2021.
Nominations opened on 1 June 2021 and closed on 18 July 2021.
- Keinan Keighran, Wurli-Wurlinjang Aboriginal Health Service
- Sherryl King, Wurli-Wurlinjang Aboriginal Health Service
- Megan Munckton, Tennant Creek Hospital
- Chris Rankine-Johnson, Pine Creek Primary Health Care Centre
- Dorothy Gondarra, Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation
- Elizabeth Hitchcock, Royal Darwin Hospital
- Emslie Lankin, Alice Springs Hospital
- Eyvette Hawthorne, Royal Darwin Hospital
- Ilija Jacobs, Top End Mental Health & Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Jecinta Tatipata, Casuarina Community Care Centre
- Leah Carter, Ti Tree Primary Health Care Centre
- Maryanne Malbunka, Ntaria Primary Health Care Centre
- Patricia Nundhirribala, Numbulwar Primary Health Care Centre
- Ricky Orr, Titjikala Primary Health Care Centre
- Sarah Mariyalawuy Bukulatjpi, Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation
- Sarah Quong, Danila Dilba Health Service
- Sherrelle Khan, Alice Springs Hospital
- Susan Mungatopi, Milikapiti Primary Health Care Centre
- Virgil John Puruntatameri, Pirlangimpi Primary Health Care Centre
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.