A Top End man has been arrested and charged with allegedly trying to groom a child as well as sending and posessing child abuse material.
The 72-year-old man was arrested in his home in Marrakai following an investigation by the Covert Online Engagement Unit from the Australian Federal Police-led Australian Centre to Counter Child Exploitation (ACCCE).
Police will allege the man transmitted, possessed and attempted to gain access to child abuse material online and was also allegedly attempting to groom a teenage girl online.
The 71-year-old appeared in the Darwin Local Court on Tuesday charged with six offences including; producing child abuse material and using a carriage service to groom someone they believed to be under 16.
He was remanded in custody and will return to court in October.
AFP Detective Acting Superintendent Child Protection Operations Tim Puchala said it is important for parents and carers to be aware of the dangers that young people face online, and to speak to their children about those risks.
"It is so important to ensure there is ongoing communication between you and your children, so they know they can approach you if something goes wrong," he said.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- Contact us at email@example.com
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.
DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?: Send letters to the editor or story tips to firstname.lastname@example.org