Katherine Town Council will receive $107,397 for local road maintenance as part of quarterly funding under the Roads to Recovery Program.
Senator for the Northern Territory Dr Sam McMahon said the Federal Government would deliver over $65.09 million to 215 local government authorities nationwide for safer and better-maintained roads.
"The Roads to Recovery funding in the NT will allow councils across the area to progress a number of high-priority projects, using local knowledge to deliver the best local roads," Dr McMahon said.
"This forms part of our Government's unwavering commitment to get Australians home sooner and safer, no matter where they live."
Councils will receive the following quarterly payments:
- Alice Springs Town Council - $87,000
- Barkly Regional Council -$206,960
- Katherine Town Council - $107,397
- Local Government Association of NT - $87,817
- MacDonnell Regional Council - $147,737
- Victoria Daly Regional Council - $318,242
- West Arnhem Regional Council - $20,000
- West Daly Regional Council - $245, 658
Assistant Minister to the Deputy Prime Minister and Assistant Minister for Local Government Kevin Hogan said the Australian Government had committed an additional $100 million a year to the Roads to Recovery Program from 2019-20, as part of the Local and State Government Road Safety Package announced in the 2019-20 Budget.
"From 2013-14 to 2023-24, the Government will provide $6.2 billion under the Roads to Recovery Program, with an ongoing commitment of $500 million each year following," Mr Hogan said.
"We are investing in infrastructure nationwide in order to lay the foundations for economic recovery following the COVID-19 pandemic.
"Assisting local councils to maintain and improve roads under their jurisdiction is a big part of that, which is why we are also funding a $2.5 billion Local Road and Community Infrastructure Program and the bringing forward of $1.3 billion of the 2021-22 Financial Assistance Grant payment."
Mr Hogan said Roads to Recovery investments deliver safer roads in local government areas throughout the country.
"The Australian Government supports local governments to provide vital infrastructure and services through a range of programs.
"This support includes Financial Assistance Grants and the Bridges Renewal, Black Spot, Heavy Vehicle Safety and Productivity, Roads to Recovery and Local Roads and Community Infrastructure programs."
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.
DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?: Send letters to the editor or story tips to email@example.com