After a bumper dry season, the Katherine council is enlisting the help of locals to help clean up before the wet season.
This year's 12th annual Great Northern Clean Up Day will be held on Saturday September 25 from 7.30am.
The companion day to Clean Up Australia Day gives northern communities a chance to clean up after the peak tourist system and before the wet season starts.
"The Katherine River is a great attribute of our town, let's all work together to take care of it," Katherine Mayor Lis Clark said.
"I encourage the community to get out there, collect rubbish and make sure we keep our waterways clean this wet season."
All are encouraged to take part, with all volunteers receiving a voucher for one free ice cream scoop from new local cafe The Meeting Place.
Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can continue to access our trusted content:
- Bookmark katherinetimes.com.au
- Make sure you are signed up for our breaking and regular headlines newsletters
- Follow us on Twitter: @KatherineTimes
- Follow us on Instagram @katherinetimes
- Follow us on Google News
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.
DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY?: Send letters to the editor or story tips to email@example.com