The NT Government is investing in prevention programs to break the generational cycle of domestic, family, and sexual violence.
Committing an annual $300,000, the Prevention Fund will support local projects, including pilot programs, which employ good practice, evidence-based prevention and early intervention strategies, through small grants.
“Evidence shows that domestic, family, and sexual violence is preventable. That is why the [NT] Government created the Safe, Respected and Free from Violence Prevention Fund,” Minister for Territory Families, Dale Wakefield said.
According to a Territory Families spokeswoman, projects which target high-risk groups will be prioritised.
“Domestic, family, and sexual violence has a devastating impact on families and on our community,” Minister Wakefield said.
“For Territory women, violence is the single largest driver for homelessness and is a major factor in children entering the child protection and youth justice systems.
“A key strategy for us in tackling this issue is investment in prevention programs that will create generational change and put victims first,” she said.
The Prevention Fund is part of the Domestic, Family, and Sexual Violence Reduction Framework 2018-2028 launched in December last year.
“The Framework identified areas where Government needs to invest to make a difference. The areas include prevention, early intervention, and safety and recovery for women and children and victims of domestic and family violence,” A Territory Families spokeswoman said.
As part of the Framework action plan, the NT Government will also provide $450,000 to develop an integrated and specialist domestic, family and sexual violence hub for Tennant Creek to support women and their children in the Barkly region.
High-risk groups include: children and young people, Aboriginal women, women with a disability, women from cultural backgrounds, people experiencing mental health issues, elderly women and people who identify as LGBTQIA + (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and/or asexual).
The 2018/2019 Safe, Respected and Free from Violence Prevention Fund is now open.
Applications close on December 21, 2018. Funding recipients will be announced in early 2019.
To apply head to the website here.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.