A Northern Territory electrical company will face court next month following the death of an apprentice in February.
Derick Suratin, a 34-year-old four years into his apprenticeship, died after being electrocuted while working on the roof of a fire station in Tennant Creek.
Mr Suratin was working on live wires, unsupervised when the incident took place, and was not able to be revived at the scene or at hospital.
Dexter Barnes Electrical, a Tennant Creek based electrical services company, and its director Russell O'Donnell, have been charged by NT WorkSafe for failures in the workplace.
Acting executive director of NT WorkSafe Chris Wicks said the incident is an unfortunate example of the risks faced by many workers in the NT.
"These charges are a reminder that employers must ensure that workers are appropriately trained and supervised, and should ensure that all sources of electricity supply to premises are isolated before commencing electrical work."
Russell O'Donnell could be facing steep fines of more than $1 million for failing to comply with legislation set out in the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
"NT WorkSafe alleges that Dexter Barnes Electrical failed to identify and mitigate risks to health and safety, failed to provide adequate instruction about the work to be undertaken, failed to ensure its workers were aware of and complied with its Safety Management System, and failed to properly train and supervise its workers," a spokesman has said.
"NT WorkSafe further alleges that Russell O'Donnell failed in his duties as an officer by not exercising due diligence to ensure that Dexter Barnes Electrical complied with its duties under the Act."
Mr O'Donnell will face a judge at Tennant Creek Local Court on December 11.
While you're with us, you can now receive updates straight to your inbox each Friday at 6am from the Katherine Times. To make sure you're up to date with all the news, sign up here.